106_779.pdf 2.67 MB
Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4) and bone growth in childhood
山中 良孝 岡山大学医学部小児科学教室
IGFBP-4 is a 24kD protein, originally isolated from the conditioned medium of human bone cells, and has been implicated as a potent inhibitor of IGF action in vitro. To clarify its biological functions in human bone, I measured the serum concentration of IGFBP-4 from patients with endocrinologic disorders, using Western immunoblot. In normal children, IGFBP-4 increased with age. The serum IGFBP-4 levels of patients with GH deficiency and panhypopituitarism were lower than those of normal children. In addition, the serum levels of IGFBP-4 were also significantly lower in children with Turner's syndrome than in the age-matched normal children who were post pubertal. These findings suggest that GH and the sex steroid increase the production of serum IGFBP-4. Then, I examined the influence of GH on the serum level of of IGFBP-4. In the good responders to GH therapy, IGFBP-4 decreased rapidly during the first month, continued to decrease until the third month, and then increased slowly. On the contrary, in the poor responders to GH therapy, the IGFBP-4 level increased until the third month and then remained at a high level. The increased serum IGFBP-4 level may , at least in part, contribute to the low response to GH therapy in the poor responders.
Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4)
Insulin-like growth factor (IGF-Ⅰ)
Journal of Okayama Medical Association
Okayama Medical Association
1) Zapf J, Walter H and Froesch ER : Radioimmunological determination of insulin-like growth factors Ⅰand Ⅱ in normal subjects and in patients with growth disorders and extrapancreatic tumor jypoglycemia. J Clin Invest (1981) 68, 1321-1330.
2) Humbel RE : Insulin-like growth factors Ⅰand Ⅱ. Eur J Biochem (1990) 190, 445-462.
3) Zapf J, Schonle E and Froesch ER : Insulin-like growth factors Ⅰand Ⅱ: Some biological actions and receptor binding characteristics of two purified constituets of non-suppressible insulin-like activity of human serum. Eur J Biochem (1978) 87, 285-296.
4) Lindahl A, Isgaard J and Carlsson L : Differential effects of growth hormone and IGF-Ⅰon colony formation of epiphyseal chondrocytes in suspension culture in rats of different ages. Endocrinology (1987) 121, 1061-1069.
5) Ernst M and Rodan GA : Increast activity of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) in osteoblastic cells in the presence of growth hormone (GH): positive correlation with the presence of GH-induced IGF-binding protein-3. Endocrinology (1990) 127, 807-814.
6) Mohan S, Bautista CM, Wergedal JE and Baylink DJ : Isolation of an inhibitory insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein from bone cell-conditioned medium: a potential local regulator of IGF action. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (1989) 86, 8338-8342.
7) La Tour D, Mohan S, Linkhart TA, Baylink DJ and Strong DD : Inhibitory insulin-like growth factor-binding protein: Cloning, complete sequence, and physiological regulation. Mol Endocrinol (1990) 4, 1806-1814.
8) Kiefer MC, Masiarz FR, Bauer DM and Zapf J : Identificaation and molecular cloning of two new 30 kDa insulin-like growth factor binding proteins isolated from adult human serum. J Biol Chem (1991) 266, 9043-9049.
9) Rosen C, Donahue LR, Hunter S, Holick M, Kavookjian H, Kirschebaum A, Mohan S and Baylink DJ : The 24/25-kDa serum insulin-like growth factor-binding protein increased in eldery women with hip and spine fractures. J Clin Endocrinol & Metab (1992) 74, 24-27.
10) Scharla SH, Strong DD, Rosen C, Mohan S, Holick M Baylink and Linkhart TA : 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 increases secretion of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4) by human osteoblast-like cells in vitro and elevates IGFBP-4 serum levels in vivo. J Clin Endocrinol & Metab (1993) 77, 1190-1197.
11) Shimasaki S, Gao L, Shimonaka M and Ling N : Isolation and molecular cloning of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-6. Mol Endocrinol (1991) 5, 938-947.
12) Malpe S, Strong DD, Baylink DJ and Mohan S : Stimulation of human bone cell proliferation by an antisense oligodezyribonucleotide to IGFBP-4 mRNA. J Bone Miner Res (1992) 7 (Suppl. 1), S124.
13) Cheung PT, Smith EP, Shimasaki S, Ling N and Chermausek SD : Characterization of an insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP-4) produced by B104 rat neuronal cell line: chemical and biological properties and differential synthesis by sublines. Endcrinology (1991) 129, 1006-1015.
14) Culouscou JM and shoyab M : Purification of a colon cancer cell growth inhibitor and its identification as an insulin-like growth factor binding protein. Cancer Res (1991) 51, 2813-2819.
15) Chen TL, Liu F, Bates RL and Hintz RL : Further characterization of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in rat osteoblast-like cell culture: modulation by 17β-estradiol and human growth homene. Endocrinology (1991) 128, 2489-2496.
16) Greenberg C, Kukreja SC, Bowser EN, Hargis GK, Henderson WJ and Williams GA : Parathyroid hormone secretion: effect of estradiol and progesterone. Metabolism (1987) 36, 151-154.
17) Torring O, Firek AF, Heath HIII and Conover CA : Parathyroid hormone and parathyroid homene-related peptide stimulate insuline-like growth factor-binding protein secretion by rat osteoblast-like cells through a adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate-dependent mechanism. Endocrinology (1991) 128, 1006-1014.
18) Mohan S and Baylink DJ : Evidence that the inhibition of TE85 human bone cell prolifetation by agents which stimulate cAMP production may in part be mediated by changes in the IGF-Ⅱ regulatory system. Growth Regulation (1991) 1, 110-118.
19) Lee K, Mohan S, Baylink DJ and Strong DD : Evidence for transcriptional regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4) gene in human bone cells. J Bone Miner Res (1992) 7 (Supple. 1), 5232.
20) Scharla SH, Strong DD, Mohan S, Baylink DJ and Linkhart TA : 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 differentially regulates the production of insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) and IGF-binding protein-4 in mouse osteoblast. Endocrinology (1991) 129, 3139-3146.
21) Mohan S, Strong DD, Lempert UG, Wergedal JE and Baylink DJ : Studies on regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein (IGFBP)-3 and IGFBP-4 prodution in human bone cells. Acta Endocrinol (1992) 127, 555-564.
22) Isaksson OGP, Lindahl A, Nilsson A and Isgaard J : Machanism of the stimulatory effect growth hormone on longitudinal bone growth. Endocr Rev (1987) 8. 426-438.
|Eprints Journal Name||