103_769.pdf 2.26 MB
Striatal extracellular levels of dopamine and its metabolites during kainate-induced limbic seizures in freely-moving rats measured by brain microdialysis
To investigate the role of brain dopaminergic systems in epilepsy, striatal extracellular levels of dopamins (DA) and its metabolites (3,4-dihydroxyphenylacetic acid : DOPAC and homovanillic acid : HVA) were measured during kainate-induced limbic seizures in freely-moving rats, using brain microdialysis. DA and its metabolites were measured by high performance liquid chromatography. Systemic injection of kainate (10mg/㎏, i. p.), which caused stable limbic seizures, significantly decreased the levels of DA and its metabolites. Intrahippocampal injection of kainae (2.5nmol), which also caused limbic seizures, significantly decreased only the DA levels, while DOPAC and HVA levels were unchanged. Similar to the results of the systemic injectjon, intrastriatal perfusion of kainate (10(-2) or 10(-6) M) significantly decreased the levels of DA, DOPAC and HVA in a dose-dependent manner. These findings indicate that, during kainate-induced limbic seizures, DA release was significantly reduced in the striatum. In conclusion, the hypofunction of striatal dopaminergic systems is related to the initiation and progress in epileptic seizures.
|Publication Title Alternative||
Journal of Okayama Medical Association
Okayama Medical Association
1) Barsa JA and Kline NS : Treatment of two hundred disturbed psychotics with reserpine. JAMA (1955) 158, 110-113.
2) Hiramatsu M, Fujimoto N and Mori A : Catecholamine level in cerebrospinal fluid of epileptics. Neurochem Res (1982) 7, 1299-1305.
3) Mori A, Hiramatsu M, Namba S, Nishimoto A, Ohmoto T, Mayanagi Y and Asakura T : Decreased dopamine level in the epileptic focus. Res Commum Chem Pathol Pharmacol (1987) 56, 157-164.
4) Anlezark GM and Meldrum BS : Effects of apomorphine, ergocornine and piribedil on audiogenic seizures in DBA/2 mice. Br J Pharmacol (1975) 53, 419-421.
5) Turski L, Cavalheiro EA, Bortolotto ZA, Ikonomidou-Turski C, Kleinrok Z and Turski WA : Dopamine-sensitive anticonvulsant site in the rat striatum. J Neurosci (1988) 8, 4027-4037.
6) Loscher W and Czuczwar SJ : Studies on the involvement of dopamine D-1 and D-2 receptors in the anticonvulsant effect of dopamine agonists in various rodent models of epilepsy. Eur J Pharmacol (1986) 128, 55-65.
7) Corcoran M and Mason S : Role of forebrain catecholamines in amygdaloid kindling. Brain Res (1980) 190, 473-484.
8) Bjorklund A and Lindvall O : Dopamine-containing systems in the CNS. In Handbook of chemical Neuroanatomy. Classical Transmitters in the CNS, VOL. 2/1, Bjorklund A and Hokfelt T eds, Elsevier, Amsterdam (1984) pp55-122.
9) Patel S, De Sarro GB and Meldrum BS : Regulation of seizure threshold by excitatory amino acids in the striatum and entopeduncular nucleus of rats. Neuroscience (1988) 27, 837-850.
10) Nadler JV : Kainic acid as a tool for the study of temporal lobe epilepsy. Life Sci (1981) 29, 2031-2042.
11) Ben-Ari Y : Limbic seizure and brain damage produced by kainic acid : mechanisms and relevance to human temporal lobe epilepsy. Neuroscience (1985) 14, 375-403.
12) Lenicque PM, Wepierre J and Cohen Y : The role of monoamines in the behavioural effects of kainic acid in rats. J Neural Transm (1981) 51, 205-212.
13) Baran H, Hortnagl H and Hornykiewicz O : Kainic acid-induced seizures : potentiation by α-methyl-β-tyrosine. Brain Res (1989) 495, 253-260.
14) Hamamura T, Kazahaya Y and Otsuki S : Ceruletide suppresses endogenous dopamine release via vagal afferent system, studied by in vivo intracerebral dialysis. Brain Res (1989) 483, 78-83.
15) Pellegrino LJ, Pellegrino AS and Cushman AJ : A stereotaxic Atlas of the Rat Brain. Plenum, New York (1979).
16) Sperk G, Lassmann H, Baran H, Seitelberger F and Hornykiewicz O : Kainic acid-induced seizures : dose-relationship of behavioural, neurochemical and histopathological changes. Brain Res (1985) 338, 289-295.
17) Zetterstrom T, Sharp T, Marsden CA and Ungerstedt U : In vivo measurement of dopamine and its metabolites by intracerebral dialysis : changes after d-amphetamine. J Neurochem (1983) 41, 1769-1773.
18) Ungerstedt U : Measurement of neurotransmitter release by intracranial dialysis, in measurements of neurotransmitter release in vivo, Marsden CA ed, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, London (1984) pp81-105.
19) Zetterstrom T, Sharp T, Collin AK and Ungerstedt U : In vivo measurement of extracellular dopamine and DOPAC in rat striatum after various dopamine-releasing drugs ; implications for the origin of extracellular DOPAC. Eur J Pharmacol (1988) 148, 327-334.
20) Ben-Ari Y, Tremblay E, Riche D, Ghilini G and Naquet R : Electrographic, clinical and pathological alterlations following systemic administration of kainic acid, bicuculline and pentetrazole : metabolic mapping using the deoxyglucose method with special reference to the pathology of epilepsy. Neuroscience (1981) 6, 1361-1391.
21) Cavalheiro EA, Riche DA and Le Gal La Salle G : Long-term effects of intrahippocampal kainic acid injection in rats : a method for inducing spontaneous recurrent seizures. Electroenceph Clin Neurophysiol (1982) 53, 581-589.
22) Taylor RJ, Reavill C, Jenner P and Marsden CD : Circling behaviour following unilateral kainic acid injections into rat striatum. Eur J Pharmacol (1981) 76, 211-222.
23) Carter CJ, Heureux RL and Scatton B : Differential control by N-methyl-D-aspartate and kainate of striatal dopamine release in vivo : a trans-striatal dialysis study. J Neurochem (1988) 51, 462-468.
24) 加太英明，横井 功，秋山賢次，戸田洋子，山本正垣，岡村裕司，河上雄之介，森 昭胤：ラット脳線条体における monoamine release におよぼす興奮性アミノ酸 agonists の影響．Neurosciences (1989) 15, 130-132.
25) Clow DW and Jhamandas K : Characterization of L-glutamate action on the release of endogenous dopamine from the rat caudate-putamen. J Pharmacol Exp Ther (1989) 248, 722-728.
26) Westerink BHC, Lejeune B, Korf J and Van Praag HM : On the significance of regional dopamine metabolism in the rat brain for the classification of centrally acting drugs. Eur J Pharmacol (1977) 42, 179-190.
27) 山本昌司：インビボ・ボルタメトリーによるペンチレンテトラゾール誘発発作中の脳内神経伝達物質の経時的変動に関する研究．岡山医誌 (1987) 99, 33-47.
|Eprints Journal Name||